Advert |
|
Community News |
Satmar Rebbe Distributes $6,000 to Yungerleit Who Completed and Farhered on Shulchan Aruch |
![]() |
This past Sunday, a special seudas mitzvah took place in the beit medrash of the Satmar chassidus, where a remarkable sum of one million dollars was distributed to avrechim who dedicated themselves to Torah learning and successfully completed bechinos on the entire Shulchan Aruch. The initiative was led by Rabbi Yossi Broch and took place in the Heichal HaKollelim in Kiryas Yoel Monroe, with the participation of the Satmar Rebbe, shlita. The program, designed to encourage limud haTorah. During the event, each avrech who completed the program was personally handed a matana of $6,000 by the Rebbe as a token of appreciation for their mesiras nefesh in Torah. Among the avrichim who got were 40 avrechim from Eretz Yisroel—who traveled to the United States to take part in the distribution and received their well-earned schar in cash.
|
Advert |
|
Mt. Sinai Doctor in USA Fired for Praising Hamas Amid Pressure From Councilwoman |
A Mt. Sinai doctor who referred to Hamas and Hezbollah terrorists as “noble resistance and freedom fighters” has been dismissed following an internal investigation after Brooklyn City Councilwoman Inna Vernikov pressed the hospital to take action to secure the safety of Jewish patients. Dr. Lila Abassi, an assistant professor of medicine at the hospital, was terminated after scrutiny of her social media activity, which had been under review even before the Oct. 7 massacre but escalated in response to the attacks. Abassi, 46, had posted statements such as “Long Live Hamas and Hezbollah,” labeled the IDF a “plague,” accused Israel of “slaughtering babies,” and both downplayed and, paradoxically, endorsed the Oct. 7 massacre. Vernikov said that the hospital was very responsive throughout the process, which took about two months to be resolved.
|
Advert |
|
British News |
VAT on private school fees has had ‘damaging effect’ on children |
![]() |
Several private schools, as well as some pupils and their parents, have launched a legal challenge over the government imposing VAT on private schools. The claimants, which include children and families at faith schools and families who have sent their children with special educational needs (SEN) to private school, are taking the legal action against the Treasury. They claim the policy of applying VAT to fees is discriminatory and a breach of human rights law. The Treasury is defending the challenges, with HMRC and the Department for Education (DfE) also taking part. Dozens of supporters of the challenge appeared at the High Court in London for the first day of the hearing on Tuesday. Lord David Pannick KC, representing one group of children and their parents, said that for some children currently in private schools, their needs are not met by state schools in their area, or at all, but the new law applies “irrespective” of a family’s need. “The application of the law does have a damaging effect on individual children and their families,” he added. |
|
Advert |
|
World News |
Trump Announces Worldwide Tariffs at 10%, Dozens of Countries Will Pay More in Reciprocal Fees |
![]() |
Captions |
Donald Trump announced a sweeping new set of reciprocal tariffs on Wednesday, arguing that they would allow the United States to succeed. Trump’s tariffs, which he imposed via executive order, are expected to send economic shockwaves around the world. The White House released a list of roughly 100 countries and the tariff rates that the US would impose in kind. 10% baseline tariff That rate is set at 10% and will go into effect on 5 April. Some countries will only face the base rate. These include: United Kingdom Singapore Brazil Australia New Zealand Turkey Colombia Argentina El Salvador United Arab Emirates Saudi Arabia Custom tariffs for ‘worst offenders’ These countries charge higher tariffs on US goods, impose “non-tariff” barriers to US trade or have otherwise acted in ways the government feels undermine American economic goals. The key trading partners subject to these customised tariff rates include: European Union: 20% Isreal 17% China: 54% Vietnam: 46% Thailand: 36% Japan: 24% Cambodia: 49% South Africa: 30% Taiwan: 32% No additional tariffs on Canada and Mexico The White House said they would deal with both countries using a framework set out in previous executive orders, which imposed tariffs on Canada and Mexico as part of the administration’s efforts to address fentanyl and border issues. He previously set those tariffs at 25%, before announcing some exemptions and delays. No additional US tariffs for Canada, but no relief either 25% tariffs on auto imports Those tariffs would go into effect almost immediately, at midnight on 3 April. |
|
Advert |
|
Israel News |
it’s Official: Netanyahu Informs Maj. Gen. Sharvit He Will Not Be Appointed Head of Shin Bet |
![]() |
Just 24 hours after it was announced that Maj. Gen. Eli Sharvit would be appointed head of the Shin Bet, the Israeli Prime Minister’s Office officially confirmed late Monday night that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has decided to cancel the appointment. According to a statement from Netanyahu’s office, the prime minister met again yesterday with Maj. Gen. Sharvit regarding his potential appointment to head the Shin Bet. “The Prime Minister thanked Maj. Gen. Sharvit for his willingness to answer the call of duty but informed him that, after further consideration, he intends to explore other candidates” — effectively cancelling the appointment. |
|
Another Blow to the Torah World: Drastic Cuts to Yeshiva and Kollel Budgets |
![]() |
Despite promises from senior coalition officials, the Ministry of Education has announced a sharp reduction in funding for Torah institutions. The monthly stipend for avreichim (married yeshiva students) has dropped from 846 to just 720 shekels, while for yeshiva students, it has been reduced from 470 to 400 shekels. This cut comes just a week after the approval of the 2025 state budget, despite assurances from Smotrich, Deri, and Gafni that the Torah world’s funding would not be harmed—even without the Draft Law. Institutions are calling it “a severe and inexplicable blow.” Meanwhile, the charedi political parties remain silent. |
|
Frum Father from Toms River Arrested in Israel for IDF Draft Avoidance, Released After Several Days. |
![]() |
A Yungerman from New Jersey, who also holds Israeli citizenship, was arrested by the IDF earlier this week while attempting to return to the United States. He was held in military prison for several days before being released, The Jewish Blast has learned. The arrest was due to his longstanding avoidance of mandatory IDF service. According to information obtained by The Jewish Blast, the 33-year-old father of five was taken into custody at Ben Gurion Airport at the beginning of the week after traveling to Israel for a family simcha. He was detained at passport control as he was about to board a flight back to the U.S. A source familiar with the case said that since his arrest, efforts were immediately launched by askonim and legal representatives to secure his release before Pesach. Baruch Hashem, after several days in military prison, he was freed just a few hours ago and is now en route back to his family. It remains unclear why he was not detained upon his arrival in Israel but was instead arrested only when attempting to leave the country. The man, who holds an Israeli passport, had failed to address his draft status for over a decade. Following extensive intervention by askonim and lawyers in Eretz Yisroel, he has now been released and is on his way home. |
|
Netanyahu says IDF carving new corridor across Gaza to cut off Rafah, pressure Hamas |
![]() |
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Wednesday that advancing IDF forces were carving out a new security corridor across southern Gaza that would likely cut off the city of Rafah from the rest of the Strip, as Israel seeks to pile pressure on Hamas to free the hostages. |
|
|
To advertise click here or [email protected]:
|
The email was sent to [email protected] |